When we exercise, we deplete our muscle glycogen stores (the storage form of glucose). Therefore, it’s essential that we replenish these stores, by consuming carbohydrate rich foods. The longer and harder you’ve trained for, the more carbs you will need. For example, more endurance based exercise such as running and HIIT will require more carb replenishing than say yoga or a walk.
Bread/toast seems to get a bad name for itself but it can make for a highly nutritious breakfast or snack as it offers so many nutrients. Particularly looking at wholegrain breads and those which are packed with seeds, these can provide us with a great source of fibre and carbohydrates.
Having a slice of wholegrain toast is a great way to help boost your daily fibre intake, which is so important for good gut health as it helps to keep things moving through your body and supports good gut bacteria.
As well as fibre, choosing whole grain versions of bread is going to help provide essential heart-healthy fats as well as grains and seeds which will provide protein. Both fats and protein together help to slow the release of energy from the carbohydrates found in bread, helping to manage your blood sugar levels.
So you can definitely include bread as part of a healthy, balanced diet just try to opt for whole grain versions where you can and be mindful of portion sizes throughout your day. A Slice toast with honey is simply going to provide you with a brief spike of energy! Be smart with your choice of bread and choice of toast toppings and you are on to a winner!!
- Smashed avocado with black pepper, salt, chilli flakes and a sprinkle of feta cheese
- Peanut butter (no added sugar) with sliced banana or sliced strawberries
- Beetroot hummus and chilli flakes
- Almond butter and Low sugar jam
- Coconut almond butter, sliced apple and cinnamon
- Hazelnut butter, chia seeds and a drizzle of melted dark chocolate
- Smashed avocado with smashed edamame beans, pepper and salt
- Smashed avocado and a fried egg
- Smashed cannellini beans with rocket and fresh coriander
- Smoked salmon and lighter cream cheese
- Sardines with fresh tomatoes
- Cottage cheese and blueberries
- Cottage cheese and sliced cucumber
- Sautéed mushrooms with garlic
- Yoghurt, sliced mango and coconut shavings
- Yoghurt, chopped pecans and a drizzle of maple syrup