Give some these delicious drinks a try to help boost your immune system! Perfect to keep you feeling fighting fit and healthy at this time and enjoy many additional nutritional benefits too!
- Ginger Morning Zinger Shot
- Bulletproof Coffee
- Warm Turmeric Tea
- Spicy Ginger Tea
GINGER MORNING ZINGER SHOT
- 2 Clementines
- 1/2 Lemon with rind
- Ginger (1-2cm or to taste)
- Turmeric drops, root, or powder (to taste)
- Put all of the ingredients into a juicer, then add your desired amount of turmeric
- 1-2 tsp butter
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1-2 cups of hot brewed coffee
- Start by making a filter coffee with good quality coffee
- Add a spoon of butter and coconut oil to the coffee and whisk together
- And a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Blend everything together in blender or you can use a hand whisk
WARM TURMERIC TEA
- 1/2 mug boiling water
- 4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Ginger powder
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 mug warm coconut milk
- 2tsp raw honey
- Fill half a mug with boiling water
- Add the turmeric and ginger
- Cover and let it settle for 10 minutes
- Stir in the cinnamon, pepper and vanilla
- Fill the remainder of your mug with warm coconut milk
- Add some raw honey to taste
Top tip: Add a pinch of high quality salt (sea, Himalayan, Celtic, Hawaiian) to your drink to increase mineral content – great if you wake up feeling groggy and with a headache!
SPICY GINGER TEA
- 3 cups of water
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 slices (1/4 inch thick) of fresh ginger
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne (start with this and add more to taste…the more you can handle the better)
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw honey (to taste to achieve your desired sweetness)
- Add all ingredients (except honey) to a pot and bring to a boil
- Once boiling reduce heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes
- Add honey and stir, adding more if necessary
- Pour tea through a strainer and drink while warm
Top tip: Give the lemon a good roll on the counter first to break up the cells and liberate the juice!
WHY DO THESE DRINKS HELP TO BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM?
- Turmeric: One of the most effective anti-inflammatories around, turmeric is one of the best things you can put in your body to prevent and treat cold and flu. Naturally anti-viral and antiseptic, this traditionally used spice works wonders on our immune system, liver and overall health.
- Ginger: Ginger has been used for centuries to relieve a sore throat and loosen up congestion due to a cold. Best known for its ability to calm an upset stomach, ginger can also relieve aches and pains due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lemon: With natural antibacterial properties, high levels of vitamin C and the natural ability to support and detoxify your liver, lemon acts as a strong defence against germs. As disease thrives in an acidic environment, it’s alkalising effect also promotes good general health.
- Raw Honey: By using raw honey, you’re getting all of the benefits of the enzymes, vitamins and minerals that would otherwise be destroyed during the pasteurisation process. Raw honey offers protection against germs due to its strong antibacterial and anti-microbial effects.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut contains two special ingredients that make it excellent for immunity as they contain anti-viral properties, commonly referred to as lauric acid and caprylic acid. Both are well-known for fighting off yeast overgrowth (candida), along with bacterial infections. Coconut is actually comprised of 50 percent lauric acid, which the body converts to an antiviral agent that fights off a variety of pathogens and viruses.
- Cinnamon: Traditionally used to soothe aches and pains because of its natural pain relieving effects, cinnamon is also a natural antibacterial and anti-fungal. This warming spice stimulates circulation and increases the elimination of toxins.
- Cayenne: Great for warming the body and stimulating the release of built up mucous in the sinus and respiratory passages, cayenne pepper also causes you to sweat, lowering a fever and eliminating toxins. Adding cayenne to your diet can also help to increase circulation and give you a natural relief of pain.